3 lb fresh asparagus, rinsed
1⁄2 c heavy cream
1⁄4 t ground white pepper
1⁄2 t salt
1 T minced garlic
1 c minced leeks, whites only
1 c minced shallots
4 T unsalted butter
8 c chicken stock
1⁄4 c grated parmesan cheese
- Trim the attractive top from the asparagus about 1 inch in length.
- Cut the woody stem end from each spear and reserve.
- Cut the remaining tender stalks into half inch pieces.
- In a med pot bring stock up to a boil.
- Add the tough woody stems lower the heat and simmer for 20 to 30 mins.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and discard reserving the stock.
- Add the decorative tops to stock and blanch for 1 min.
- Remove with strainer and refresh in cold water
- Reserve tops for garnish.
- In med stock pot sautee shallots leeks and garlic until tender in the unsalted butter.
- Add chopped aspargus stalks salt and pepper cook for 2 mins
- Add reserved broth and simmer for 20 mins
- With hand immersion blender blend until smooth while slowly adding the heavy cream
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and tops